The dressers are done! Being our first true refinishing job, we learned a lot along the way. But we are really pleased with how they turned out.
Lesson #1: Sand more than you think you need to. This allows for proper stain soakage.
Lesson #2: Don't leave the stain on for more than 5ish minutes. 20 minutes=too long=sticky dressers=boo.
Lesson #3: Foam brushes rule. Real, bristle brushes are over-rated.
Lesson #4: Polyurethane on top of white paint=yellow paint. Don't do it.
Lesson #5: Don't be a perfectionist. Luckily, I'm really good at making things look less than perfect :)
The larger dresser is still in Tanner's garage because it required an extra coat of polyurethane and we didn't want to fumigate Baby T's room. We love the two-tone paint job for this smaller dresser but decided to stain the entire large dresser instead.
Next up: Paint this corner unit white. We're going the awesome, lazy spray-paint route for this baby. Hopefully it will cover up what Grant calls the "Goodwill smell."
Also next: finding storage for our endless baby blankets.
I'm thinking some kind of wicker basket like this one from Target.
Woohoo for projects! And thanks to Grantie for all his hard work. I must admit I took at least 3 naps over the course of his time working on these dressers... But hey, I was growing the baby...
PS- I still am growing said baby. He's due in 6 days... I can't decide if I want him to get out right now or if I'd rather he wait until I can see the last Harry Potter in theaters...